Rhetorical Strategies and Fallacies Worksheet
The following are some common rhetorical strategies:
- Innuendo: a leading suggestion
- Stereotype: generalized statements relating to a group of people
- Loaded questions: questions based on unjustified assumptions
- Hyperbole:an extreme exaggeration
Identify the rhetorical strategy in each of the following statements.
1. I did not say the meat was tough. I said I did not see the horse that is usually outside (W. C. Fields). _________________
2. Have you stopped beating your wife? _____________
3. The Maserati is the best car in the world! _________________
4. All men love football; all women love the ballet. ______________
The following are some common rhetorical fallacies:
- Slippery slope: If A happens, then B–Z will follow. Therefore, to prevent B–Z from happening, do not allow A to occur.
- Hasty generalization: rushing to form a conclusion based on assumptions; not based on clear evidence
- Post hoc ergo propter hoc: If A occurs after B, then B caused A.
- Either/or: looking at a situation from only two sides, or oversimplifying the situation
- Ad hominem: attacking the person rather than attacking the argument
- Red herring or smoke screen: introducing an unrelated topic as a diversionary tactic
Identify the rhetorical fallacy in each of the following statements.
1. We can either stop using plastic, or destroy the Earth ______________
2. I ate tuna for lunch and now I do not feel well, so the tuna made me ill. ___________
3. If you enjoy a social drink, it could lead to you becoming an alcoholic, so you probably should never drink. __________
4. Even though this is the first week of class, I can tell this is going to be a very easy course. ______________
5. We know that smoking can affect your health, but how else will tobacco farmers earn a living? ______________
6. As the candidate for mayor, he has some good ideas, but we know that all politicians are dishonest.___________
Just in case you need an assignment done, hire us. Using our writing services will make your life easier because we deliver exceptional results. Use us to get an A!